Philadelphia Elder Law Attorney
Philadelphia Elder Law Attorney
Compassionate Elder Law Attorneys Serving Philadelphia, Southeastern Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
At Scott Counsel, P.C., our Philadelphia elder law attorneys are committed to providing personalized guidance and support to clients. Our firm handles the full spectrum of elder law matters—from estate planning to Medicaid planning. If you want more information about elder law, we can help. Give us a call at (856) 485-4585 or send us a message through our website to arrange your fully confidential consultation with a Pennsylvania elder law lawyer.
What is Elder Law?
Broadly defined by the American Bar Association (ABA), elder law is a specialized area of legal practice that is focused primarily on the unique issues facing senior citizens and other older adults. There is a complex web of interconnected state and federal laws in place that impact the interests of seniors. Older Americans must have access to an elder law attorney who has the specialized skills and knowledge to protect their best interests.
We Provide Comprehensive Elder Law Representation in Philadelphia
Scott Counsel, P.C. is an elder law firm focused on the unique legal issues affecting senior citizens and their families. With an office location in Philadelphia, we provide a full range of elder law services in the city and throughout the surrounding communities. Regardless of the current legal matter that you or your loved one is dealing with, our legal team is here to help you find the best path forward. Among other areas, our Philadelphia elder law attorneys have experience with:
- Estate Planning: Estate planning is a core part of elder law. While you are never too young to start estate planning, all seniors in Philadelphia must have a comprehensive estate plan in place. Our Philadelphia elder law attorneys assist clients with all types of estate planning matters, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, and more. If you have any specific questions about estate planning, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Philadelphia elder law firm.
- Business Succession Planning: For business owners nearing retirement, elder law involves putting an effective succession plan in place for their company. Simply put, a business succession plan helps to ensure that a company can transition to the future—even after a key founder or partner leaves the business. Our Philadelphia elder law attorney Justin L. Scott has extensive experience helping small and mid-sized companies craft business succession plans.
- Medicaid Planning (Long-Term Care Planning): One of the most important aspects of elder law is long-term care planning. Also sometimes referred to as Medicaid planning or Medicaid crisis planning, this part of elder law is focused on ensuring that potential future nursing home costs and other long-term care expenses will not eat away at your entire life savings. Long-term care costs are extremely high: The average monthly cost of a semi-private room in a nursing home in Pennsylvania is $10,038. It is Medicaid (not Medicare) that provides the primary coverage for long-term care costs in the United States. The issue with this is that Medicaid eligibility is needs-based. You cannot qualify if you have too many financial assets. The government will make you “spend down” those assets first. Long-term care costs could quickly take your entire life savings. There is good news: At Scott Counsel, P.C., our Philadelphia elder law attorneys help clients implement advanced Medicaid planning and estate planning strategies designed to protect their assets.
- Guardianships and Conservatorships: In Pennsylvania, a trusted person may be appointed as the “guardian” or “conservator” of an incapacitated adult. When put in place, a guardian is tasked with managing the affairs and protecting the best interests of the ward (incapacitated person). To carry out this responsibility, they are given the authority to make financial, legal, and medical decisions on behalf of the ward. Pennsylvania courts do not put adult guardianships in place lightly. There must be strong evidence that guardianship or conservatorship is reasonable and necessary. If you have any questions about adult guardianship, our Philadelphia elder law attorneys can help.
- Probate and Estate Administration: Probate and estate administration are complicated issues. As a senior citizen, there are steps you can take right now to limit your estate’s exposure to the probate process. You may be able to ensure that certain property/assets are transferred to your heirs outside of the Pennsylvania probate process or the New Jersey probate process. If you are currently navigating probate, an experienced Philadelphia probate law and estate administration lawyer can help.
Your Family Can Rely On the Philadelphia Elder Law Lawyers at Scott Counsel, P.C.
Elder law is complicated. Whether you and your family are dealing with an estate planning issue, questions about asset protection, Medicaid planning, or any other similar matter, professional guidance is available. At Scott Counsel, P.C., we are here to help families navigate elder law. More specifically, our Philadelphia elder law attorneys will:
- Listen to your story, answer questions, and explain your options;
- Help you identify the potential solutions for your elder law issue; and
- Take whatever legal action is needed to get you and your family the best outcome.
One of the central purposes of elder law is to make sure that seniors have the tools, resources, and legal structure they need to live the highest possible quality of life—with security, financial support, and the maximum amount of autonomy. Our Philadelphia elder law attorneys provide personalized legal representation to people and families throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Call Our Philadelphia Elder Law Attorney for Immediate Help
At Scott Counsel, P.C., our Philadelphia elder law attorneys are compassionate, solutions-focused advocates for people who need legal guidance. If you have any specific questions or concerns about an elder matter, we are here as a resource. Give us a phone call at (856) 485-4585 or contact us online to arrange your strictly confidential initial legal consultation. We provide elder law services in Philadelphia and throughout the area, including in Southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
– When my son, who has Cystic Fibrosis and CF related diabetes, was suddenly and unexpectedly removed from his Medicaid program, we were devastated and frightened not knowing where we would get the resources to pay for his extremely high priced prescriptions. Justin was the attorney who handled our case. From the very beginning, he proved to be very thorough and experienced with navigating the process of reversing the Medicaid decision. However, it was his apparent kind, caring nature that made us feel the most at ease. Justin was successful in securing a continuation of benefits for my son, and we are extremely grateful for having his expertise during this most stressful ongoing process. Thank you, Justin!
VIRTUAL visits now available
With your health and safety as our number one priority, we are implementing new ways to help you